Frequently Asked Questions


  1. How do I update my address and family information?

Contact the Trust Office to update any addresses and/or family information:

Community College Employees Benefit Trust

c/o Delta Fund Administrators

P.O. Box 2487
Stockton, CA 95201
Fax: 209-940-5255
Phone: 800-700-6762
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  1. How do I get Plan information, claims forms, and documents?

Plan information, claims forms and documents are available by visiting the Trust website at: or by calling the Trust Office at the number listed above during normal business hours.

Income Tax Questions

  1. Do I need to include the reimbursement benefit payments from the Trust on my income tax return?

No.  The Plan and Trust are established to offer tax-free benefits.  The benefits paid from the Trust are not taxable.

  1. What are the tax benefits of investing in this Plan during my employment?

Your employee contributions (both employee salary contributions and employer matching contributions) are deposited into the Plan pre-tax.  This means that you will not pay taxes on the amount contributed to the Plan, i.e., your taxable income was decreased by the amount contributed to the Plan.  Depositing funds into an investment pre-tax saves an average of 15 to 28% (depending upon your tax bracket) on the amount deposited, and thus creates significant growth on these funds immediately just by avoiding taxation. 

Claims Questions

  1. What medical expenses and premiums are covered by the Plan and reimbursable from my benefits?

The Plan will reimburse you for premiums to most health, dental and vision insurance plans, as well as tax deductible medical expenses; if you could have claimed the medical expenses as tax deductions on your tax return, they may be reimbursed from your benefits. Medical expenses that are tax deductible are described in IRS Publication 502 (  (Note that if the Plan does reimburse you for the expenses, you cannot also claim them as deductions on your tax return.)

  1. How do I make a claim for benefits?

Claim forms are available from the Trust Office. You must submit a completed claim form along with your receipt for payment of premiums or medical expenses to the Trust Office at the following address in order for the Plan to reimburse you:

         Community College Employees Benefit Trust

         c/o Delta Fund Administrators

         P.O. Box 2487
         Stockton, CA 95201
         Fax: 209-940-5255
         Phone: 800-700-6762
         E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  1. Can I make a claim for medical expenses or premiums for my spouse or child?

Yes. Plan beneficiaries include your lawful spouse and your children, generally up to their 26th birthday.

 4. Can I make a claim for medical expenses or premiums for my domestic partner?

No. All legally married spouses – including same sex spouses – are now considered Beneficiaries under the Plan. As a result, since domestic partners are now legally permitted to marry, and benefits to domestic partners require taxation, as of July 1, 2016, the Plan no longer provides benefits to domestic partners. You may make a claim for medical expenses or premiums for your legally married spouse, including same sex spouse.

  1. What is the deadline for submitting a claim?

Claims for reimbursement must be submitted to the Trust Office no later than 90 days after the end of the calendar year in which you made the payment, i.e. by March 31st.  For example, if you paid the medical expense or premium payment in 2016, then your claim is due to the Trust Office by March 31, 2017.

  1. When will my benefits terminate?

Benefits from the Trust are, generally, designed to continue for your lifetime and the lifetime of your surviving spouse. The Trustees reserve the right to modify the benefits at any time to protect the financial longevity of the Trust. Benefits do not terminate at Medicare eligibility, but your benefit level (or your surviving spouse's benefit level) is reduced by 25% at Medicare eligibility. After your death, your surviving spouse and surviving children (who meet the eligibility requirements, i.e. under age 26) may receive reimbursement of premiums and medical expenses.

  1. Can I get benefits from the Plan during employment?

No.  This is a retiree benefit plan for healthcare expenses incurred after retirement.

  1. What will my benefit level be?

The Board of Trustees periodically sets the Benefit Amount with the help of a professional actuary. The current 25 year Benefit Amount is $440 per month. Eligible Retirees with less than 25 years of Active Service receive a percentage of the 25 year Benefit Amount calculated as follows:

  • A retiree hired before July 1, 2014 with 5 years of Active Service is eligible to receive 50% of the monthly Benefit Amount
  • A retiree hired on or after July 1, 2014 with 10 years of Active Service is eligible to receive 62.5% of the monthly Benefit Amount.
  • For each full year of Active Service above the minimum, a retiree is eligible to receive an additional 2.5% of the monthly Benefit Amount.
  • A Regular Beneficiary’s benefit level may be more than the monthly Benefit Amount if the Regular Beneficiary has more than 25 years of Active Service.

  1. How do I earn Active Service in the Plan?

You earn one month of Active Service in the Plan for each month that contributions are made to the Plan on your behalf during employment at Sierra College.  In addition, individuals who were employed by Sierra College prior to the effective date of the Plan on July 1, 2004, receive Active Service credit for 50% of their prior years of employment at Sierra College up to a maximum of 5 years of Active Service from prior employment time.  Employees earn Active Service for part-time employment at 50% of the number of months of contributions to the Plan and 25% of Sierra College employment time prior to the Plan effective date (with a maximum of 5 years of Active Service from prior employment time).

Monthly contribution amounts are determined by collective bargaining and are mandatory for all employees represented by the bargaining group. Contributions are currently comprised of 1% salary reduction and 1% employer match.